As we move towards what seem the later stages of the UK Covid-19 lockdown, we wanted to highlight some key areas of focus and action we have taken from very early on.
Following several conversations with key personnel, we have made several decisions with the aim to balance the safety and wellbeing of our residents. These decisions are subject to ongoing reviews as we try to respond to the effects this lockdown has on the residents and those that support them in meetings their daily needs.
- Encouraging residents to stay in their bedrooms – The safety of the residents, staff teams and visitors are our number one priority and has been the at the centre of our decision-making process. Through active monitoring, we have managed to respond to the changing needs of our residents.
- Purchased surplus stock of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and Healthcare Products – these include surgical and N95/FFP2 masks, face shields, disposable overalls, gloves amongst other essentials. We are pleased to report that we have been able to sustain the natural demands of each home prior to the lockdown and continue to do so.All staff team members are now wearing fluid repellent face masks, disposable overalls and disposable gloves, regardless of whether or not there are any suspected Covid-19 cases in that area of the home.
- Incorporated Technology to Promote Wellbeing:
- Firstly, The Magic Table was brought into all our homes in March 2020. It is a piece of software containing a selection of specialised games that are colourfully projected on to a surface and responds to movement.
- It has created many moments of happiness and stimulation (through hand and arm movements) for all that reside with us.
- Secondly, we have purchased additional tablets to ensure that residents can be in touch with their loved ones. This has been a source of strength and comfort for them.
- Remotely monitoring our revised configurations on our Person-Centred Software
- Additional housekeeping (ancillary) hours to maintain a revised and thorough cleaning programme. What a difference each ancillary team has made to date!
- Team training in Covid-19 and infection control is actively ongoing and our team are fully supported with an up to date ‘Management of Covid-19’ Action Plan and associated guidance protocols. These all tie in with and similarly reflects the current UK Government and Public Health guidance.
Some additional points to take note of:
- Whilst our homes are still closed to visitors including family members and friends, please note if there is a situation that requires a non-routine visit, such as end of life, the Home Manager will endeavour to facilitate your visit.
- Although our homes are still accepting residents from the wider care community, we ensure that incoming residents will be self-isolated for 14 days in their rooms regardless of whether they are symptomatic or not. All angles have been considered and we feel this approach ensures a balance of safety of all involved (our foremost concern and duty) and sustainability of our services we provide.
- We are continuing to closely monitor the health of our team members and are ensuring that anyone who is displaying any symptoms of a Covid-19 infection are appropriately self-isolating at home and only return to work when they are free from any symptoms.
- Testing is now widely available to those showing symptoms and working in Health and Social care; thus, we have made provisions and encouraged any staff members that have shown symptoms to visit our nearest centres to undergo testing.
- We are frequently in contact with all stakeholders with any further key updates and developments.
On special notes:
- As we are sure you’d agree that it is so important, now more than ever before for us to recognise and applaud our great staff team that take pride in representing wide-spread values of care, compassion and selflessness. They are not only brave, but resilient individuals that are an example to all of humanity!
We welcome your feedback and recognition of our staff members. In the interest of safety, please either email your message (with the name of the home, the staff team or an individual/group of individuals and the reason(s) for nomination) to:
Alternatively, you can also leave your comments on our social media pages (Facebook/Instagram @langdalecarehomes )
- We would also like to add that we have been ever so fortunate to have received donations of PPE and are truly grateful for such generosity shown by these individuals/groups/companies as part of the wider community! God bless you all!
If you would like to discuss any aspects of the service delivered to your loved one, please do not hesitate to contact your Home Manager. However, we would kindly request that calls (to the relevant home) are avoided during the hours of 8.00am to 10.00am, 12.30pm to 2.00pm and 4.30pm to 6.00pm as these are our busiest times when the focus of Key Workers is solely on meeting the health and care needs of our residents.
Alternatively, if you have any queries regarding our response to COVID-19, please send us a message to the following email address:
Thank you in advance for your understanding, support and patience as we aim to overcome this challenging period together 😊
~ Higher Management Team and Directors of Langdale Care Homes Group